Hard lump on the leg having bruised mark around it. Throbbing pain at times. What is it?

I have a hard oval shaped lump on my leg close to the shin bone. I can feel sourt of like roots growing from it and the leg caves in a bit around it. It also has a brown color bruise looking mark around it while the actual lump is white. It was pea shaped but is now oval. I have seen a doctor and she wants me to come see her again as it has changed shape and is larger. It causes throbbing pain occasionally while at rest or walking or sitting while driving.
Asked On : Tue, 22 Jan 2013