Hard lump behind ear, attached to the mastoid bone, immobile, painful. What could it be?

Hi, A few weeks ago I noticed a hard lump behind my right ear, I irritated it by putting my sunglasses on my head! Well it really doesn t hurt so I forgot about it until today when I was tucking my hair I noticed it again. Behind my right ear there is a definite hard lump, asymmetrical, immobile, and painful only because I keep touching it! It seems to be attached to the mastoid bone and immobile and comparing it to my left ear, it s certainly different! I don t think it s a lymph node, it s larger than a lymph node and very hard, almost more like bone, and it s under the skin. My son took a picture of it for me and the skin over it looks blanched. I plan on calling my doctor tomorrow but now I m anxious! I had shingles on my forehead on the right side in November, which was odd because I m only 35.
Asked On : Sat, 16 Feb 2013