Hard irregular shaped lump on groin. Why can I feel pulse in it all the time?

Hi, i have had a hard irregular shaped lump in my groin area (the size of a very large tadpole almost) for the last 5 months which is continuing to grow quite slowly. There is no pain to the lump, only when i catch it, and the skin surface appears very dark purple almost black above the lump. In the last week or so, the skin has started to change appearance, become dry almost and extremely itchy. I went to my doctor 3 months ago and he said he doesn t know what it is! Very wierd, but i can also feel a pulse in it too sometimes, almost like when you cut your finger etc. Im female, 20, hope this is enough detail. Thanks.
Asked On : Sat, 8 Sep 2012
Thank you for asking question on health care magic
from your description it appears that it may be a mass of lymph nodes or although rare it may be a femoral hernia
any way better consult a surgeon to confirm the diagnosis
sometimes if it is not a hernia a biopsy may be done on advice from surgeon
Hope this answer will serve your purpose
Dr.M.V.Subrahmanyam MD;DCH
Associate professor of pediatrics