Hard bump on tongue, seems like a hole / dent. What is it?

Hi, I have a hard bump on my tongue , it seems to have a hole or dent in the centre of it. It is located directly on the line in the middle of my tongue. If you look really closely it looks like the papillae have joined together and hardened around this hole. The hole looks as if i have been stabbed in the tongue with a needle
Asked On : Fri, 10 Aug 2012
Dentist 's  Response
hello and welcome to HCM forum josh.watkins,
according to the history presented by you it seems that the papillae(taste buds) over your tongue have undergone hypertrophic changes(overgrown) and in order to provide you with the treatment, exact cause has to be ruled out, i will not be able to do that until checked clinically.
These hypertrophic changes occur due to trauma, chronic infection,smoking, etc.
but you have not mentioned anything regarding pain or bleeding from the tongue, neither about your personal habits(smoking), i assume there is none.
i would recommend you to use an antibacterial mouth rinse(twice/day) and kindly visit your concerned doctor to get the overgrowth over your tongue checked.
i hope i answered your query,
i wish you good health.