Hard ball beneath skin on elbow. No pain. No injury. What can be done about bursitis?

I went to see my doctor. I have about an inch above my left elbow what seems to be a hard ball beneith the skin, that sticks out and is about the size of an apple. I don t know where it came from, There is no pain and no coloring to the skin. My doctor says it iis Bursitus (spelling) and will take months to go away. It has been a month and the ball remains and seems hard as I first noticed it. If it came from a bruise , I don t remember hitting it. I cant find in searching the web the word Bursitis . Am I spelling this correctly and what can be done accept keeping up the wait?
Asked On : Sat, 17 Nov 2012