Hand injury. Done x-ray. Painful wrist, knot below thumb

On October 10th, my car door slammed on my right hand across the knuckles and the vein near the middle knuckle was injuried resulting in a large goose-egg knot. The bruising took several weeks and the hand has been x-rayed more than eight times in the resulting weeks. A cast was plased on the arm for three weeks because the wrist was painful. There is a small jellybean size hard knot below the thumb which is painful, in the wrist area. Some times in the morning it is painful to move the thumb and the wrist is painful most all the time. If I twist my arm, moving it, the thumb will pop and it is very uncomfortable.
Asked On : Sun, 10 Feb 2013
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Welcome to the forum.
Some injuries of the wrist can severely impact the ligamentous structures and lead to injury of these structures. This would impair the grip strength which is again aggravated by the presence of edema or swelling in the hand. The situation becomes even more complicated if there is injury to the tendons in addition. Also, necessary physiotherapy has to be instituted by a hand therapist as soon as possible. With appropriate physiotherapy you would regain your strength slowly over weeks.
I hope this is helpful to you.
You can consult me again directly through my profile
Dr Saurabh Gupta.