Had white fillings, silver fillings in the teeth, painful, mild ear infection, muffled. Suggestions?

I ve always taken great care of my teeth. I brush twice a day, floss every night, and fluoride rinse every night. It had been 5 years since I had seen a dentist (I m 26), and I expected to have a few cavities since I know no matter how well you take care of your teeth, there is no guarantee that you will never have a cavity. I picked a random dentist to go to, since I live in a different city now and can t go to my old dentist. I ended up having to get 4 white fillings for the teeth in the bottom left part of my mouth. I had pain in my jaw and teeth the next day, but assumed that was normal and waited a week. I had to go back 2 more times so she could check it out and try to fix it. She tried to adjust the bite, but both times I had zero relief. The main reason I was getting worried was because the dentist nor her office were very professional. Every visit I had to wait 2 hours to see her, with an empty waiting room, and empty back rooms (it was an open office/cubicle type deal). I ve always been very comfortable with dentists, so I was trying to give her the benefit of the doubt, but after a total of 4 visits I decided to try a different dentist. The next dentist was super nice, I got in fast, but he took xrays and said that the fillings looked okay. He then told me about/showed me a cavity that I needed to get filled ASAP, and he was a little upset that she completely missed it, cause it could have gotten really bad if neglected. So, I let him give me an amalgam filling in the top right portion of my mouth. Now, I have pain in both areas! It s a constant jaw/ toothache , but when I chew or drink anything cold, it s a sharp pain in both areas. Sometimes my ears are even affected, kind of like a mild ear infection , and it s fuzzy and sort of muffled. I ve been taking ibuprofen and tylenol (alternating) and waiting it out to see if the amalgam side gets better after a week or two. I ve read things about both types of fillings and how it usually takes a few weeks for the root to get used to the new filling, but it s been over a month with the white fillings and just a week with the silver, and I the pain hasn t subsided at all. It hasn t gotten worse, so I guess that could be good. I m waiting one more week on the amalgam, and if it still hurts, I m going to call the dentist and let him know. I m getting a little worried about all of this, and am starting to fear dentists! When I was 8, I busted my front tooth and had to get a bonding, and I didn t have a hard time with that, so I don t think it s my pain tolerance . I just really need some advice, for piece of mind! Help!
Asked On : Sat, 27 Oct 2012