Had upper left tooth removed, face swollen , pain. Taking cap. What should i take to ease the pain?

had a upper tooth on the left removed on monday morning.and had to return yesterday for advice to the dentist ,my face is very swollen from my temple to my jaw and cheek its very terrible pain to dentist prescribed me metronidazone 400mg 3 times a day for 7 days ive been takening now for nearly 24 hours wityh no results and the infection is getting worse i think and the swelling bigger is this normal? or must i wait for meds to kick in.the pain is unbearablecarnt hardly open my mouth to im using nurofen express to esase the pain by the bucket load thanks.
Asked On : Sun, 3 Mar 2013