Had unprotected sex while on first inactive pill. Protected?

Hi, I started the combination pill and I took it every single day at the correct time until I got on my inactive pills and then I stopped taking it on about the second inactive pill. Two weeks went by because I planned on getting off of the pill and then I ended up getting back on it. I then started a new pack (after the two weeks had passed) and had gotten my period on the third week of active pills. I just took my first inactive pill today (im not on my period anymore) and had unprotected sex... was I protected today? I am wondering if my hormones are out of wack and if I am safe to have sex without backup protection.
Asked On : Wed, 9 Jan 2013