Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Had unprotected sex, took emergency contraceptive pill. Could I be pregnant?

Hello, so me and my boyfriend had sex last night and we didn t notice that the condom broke until after he ejaculated in me. Immidiately after we went to Walgreens and go get the emergency contraceptive Next Choice, and i took it right away. I am usually supposed to get my period within the first two weeks of every month. So I was just wondering what are the chances I could still be pregnant?
Asked On : Sun, 30 Dec 2012
Answers:  6 Views:  419
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
General & Family Physician 's  Response
thank you for using healthcare magic,
its wise of you that you took emergency pill at right time.. i hope you took its two dose at proper timing at an interval of 12 hours.. well after taking emergency pill chances are very less ..
wait for your periods.. if it gets delayed by more then one week then take pregnancy test.. you can take home pregnancy test or more reliable test like beta hcg level or ultrasound..
in future you can use oral contraceptive pills so that you dont have to depend on condom..
hope this helps you ..
Answered: Mon, 5 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor's  Response
Thanks for writing in to us.
You have done the correct thing by taking an emergency contraceptive pill within a few hours of sex during which the condom probably broke.
The emergency pill works best if taken within 2 - 3 hours after unprotected sex. However the safety of the pill works even if taken upto 72 hours after the sexual act.
It would be important to tell you that emergency pills can alter your period dates for the next cycle and delay it. Please do not worry. This happens due to the hormonal imbalance created temporarily after taking the pill. Periods will return to normal in 2 months. You must take emergency pills only in emergency situations (as you have done). Taking them regularly may cause cysts in ovary.

Hope this helps
Answered: Tue, 6 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Akhilesh Dubey's  Response
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic,
You had unprotected sex yesterday and took emergency contraceptive pill immediately; these pills have very good protection against unwanted pregnancy.
You must understand pregnancy depend on exposure during ovulation which occurs 14 days before the expected date.
As you have already taken Pill there is very less chance so you should wait for your period or sometime you may get withdrawal bleeding.
If your period get delayed then test for pregnancy in urine and if it is negative then wait for period as it can get delayed.
If positive (Less likely) you have to visit a Gynecologist for help.
In future practice safe sex as it protects from both unwanted pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases.
Hope this information helps you.
Take care
Good Luck.
Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.
Answered: Mon, 5 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Sumanth Mallikarjuna Majgi's  Response
some studies reveal that chances are 2%, and some reveal 8%, so you can be assured of 92-98% chances not getting pregnant. more early you take go is the result. since you have taken early may be your chance of getting pregnant is around 2%.

wishing you good health
Answered: Mon, 5 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 's  Response
Sep 2013
Thanks for the query to H.C.M. Forum.
You just took contraceptive emergency pill , so there is no any chance of pregnancy getting.
Be relax and period will come in time.
Still no period , get in home pregnancy test ( after 7 days passed ).
Don't take tension as it will delay period.
Good luck.
Answered: Mon, 5 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale's  Response
The chances of pregnancy are prevalent 14 days before the expected date of menses.
Your menses you say are any time between first & second week.So the possibility of ovulation can be any time between 16th to 30th day of menses.
Now you have to remember exactly which day of menses you had unprotected sex. If it falls within the said ovulation period, you have to worry.
The best thing you did was to take emergency contraceptive immediately. Even if its within risky days the pills will take care of it. So you can easily wait for your periods to come. If if the periods are late, ( sometimes the emergency pills disturb normal cycle), use home pregnancy test to exclude the pregnancy.
Thank you.
Answered: Mon, 5 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor