Thanks for posting to us and peace be with you.
I think you are really over worried about the situation. First of all, if you took after pills within 72 hrs after unprotected sex, chances of you getting pregnant have been reduced to almost 0%. You will need family planning professional to counsel you on the different contraceptive
methods. There are several methods of preventing pregnancy
. You have the natural methods and the artificial or medical methods. For the natural methods:
- Abstinence (100% chances of not getting pregnant) and also good to prevent sexually transmitted infections
- Calender method (chances of getting pregnant are significant): Here you will need to follow through with your cycle and determine the time when it is appropriate to have sex. I always advise my patients to practice sex in days closest to their menses ( or when the suspect they will be having their monthly flow). Chances of getting pregnant around the 14th day after the start of the last menstrual period are increased significantly. ( you will need to get close to a health care provider to calculate and show you the days of safe sex).
- Coitus interruptus/withdrawal method: Is the act of penetration and ejaculating sperms out of the vagina at point of organism. It requires the man to be very disciplined.
- For women who have just given birth, breast feeding the child is a method that can prevent pregnancy ( this does not apply to you). Also known as lactational infertilityy
- Basal body temperature: this method requires the woman to take temperature daily and requires a special thermometer that is more sensitive than the normal oral thermometer. She needs to monitor fall of temperature before ovulation and sudden rise after ovulation. Not very reliable method
- Mucus inspection:
- Ovulation indicator testing kit: if available can be used to predict when you might be ovulating
For artificial methods
- Pills ( we have after pills/next day pills/emergency pills and monthly pills)
- vaginal ring
- permanent methods: sterilization
implant, surgical sterilization ( tubal ligation
The type of method appropriate for you will depend on your age, desire to have children, underlying diseases condition and/or personal preferences
Emergency pills or birth control pills usually have as side effects delayed periods, upto 7 days of delay. So you should just be a little patient.
Your kidney infection
if already diagnosed by a doctor should normally be handled by appropriate antibiotics ( so you need not worry).
As for your suicidal thoughts, wish to know if they were before the unprotected sex or after the sex. If before you need to find out what is actually bothering you and try to come into resolution with it. Getting counselling
from a trained health care provider in psychosocial problems should be considered. If after the sex, then you need to give yourself time for your period to come and your infection to be treated. if after, you are still having the thoughts, you should pay a visit to your doctor.
Hope this helps and wish you a quick recovery