Had total knee replacement. Why is there pain and swelling? Had rod placed. Are pain pills sufficient?

I am a 54 year old male, I had a total knee replacement three years ago. This was a less exclusive procedure. After the surgery there were problems with pain and swelling after a reexamine I was informed that the component had shifted and I would need a revision. I had the revision and an additional rod was placed from my knee down to my ankle for stability. I am still having a lot of pain after 3 years I can describe it as a aching and cutting pain where in offer to get relief I have to move the join but that always make it worse. This is my left knee my right knee is also bone on bone. I take pain pills but would like your expert opinion on why this would happen to me?
Asked On : Sun, 1 Jul 2012