Had total abdominal hysterectomy with complications of internal bleeding, constipated, painful.

Hello. I had a total abdominal hysterectomy with complications of internal bleeding three months ago. I am now off iron supplements and all pain meds but I am still constipated and on Laxido, laxulose and senokot and I am still constipated. Please help as I get terrible evening wind and its painful to pass motions. Joanne
Asked On : Sun, 27 Oct 2013
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Abdominal surgery and abdominal bleeding has most likely caused lots of adhesions in the abdominal cavity. Adhesion in some cases affect bowels and impede bowel movement. This can lead to partial bowels obstruction.
Constipation and abdominal pain (especially cramping) can be caused by such obstruction.
That is why I suggest you to visit your doctor and have some tests done. Abdominal X-ray, abdominal ultrasound and blood work should be first. Next should be colonoscopy and abdominal CT with oral contrast.

Hope this will help.
Regards.