Had tonsils taken out, have horrible cough, throat swollen, painful to swallow. What is wrong?

i have no tonsils as i had them taken out when i was 4, 2 days ago i started to get a horrible cough which has turned into my throat being swollen near my tounge, it s very painful to swallow , yawn or cough. It doesnt affect me as much in the daytime for some reason but at night it is so painful i just cry myself to sleep. ive tried medicines but nothing seems to be working, i ve had sleepless nights for 3 nights now. please help me.
Asked On : Mon, 7 Jan 2013