Had to remove copper iud after severe cramping. Now have cramping, early heavy bleeding with clots. Why is it?

I had a copper iud inserted on March 18, 2013 and had the normal cramping and spotting for a couple of days. It all subsided and I was back to normal like nothing had happened. However, a couple of weeks later I started experiencing the most painful cramps/pain that it was so scary. I thought I had ruptured an organ. I could hardly walk. I called my doctor and they told me this was normal just take some pain killers. Well the pain just intensified and became more regular to the point where my husband had to take me to the ER. I had the IUD taken out on April 10, 2013 and now have cramping and steady blood flow with large blood clots that is worrisome to me. Is this normal and when should I expect it to stop? My period is not due until Tuesday, April 16, 2013. Could it be that the IUD brought on my period earlier and heavier? Thank you so much for your help!
Asked On : Wed, 17 Apr 2013