Had to breathe kerosene fumes after house was flooded, child vomitting couple of times. Danger?

Our sub pump quit working during a heavy rain and flooded our basement. There were cans of kerosene and a kerosene heater down there that got knocked over and the water was full of kerosene. By the time we even noticed the basement was flooded the whole house was full of fumes. We opened all of the windows but had to stay in the house because it was at night. We were breathing the fumes from about 7pm - 4pm the next day. Then we were able to leave and go stay somewhere else. The next morning however, my 3 year old vomited a couple times. I m afraid she is sick from the fumes. Is that enough exposure to cause any damage?? And should I take my 3 year old to the doctor?
Asked On : Sun, 4 Nov 2012

Yes there is a high possibility of your child having kerosene poisoning as it does happen with inhaling kerosene as well. You do need to take her to a doctor as soon as possible and you need to kep a close watch on all your family members including yourself as you may develop signs of poisoning as headache, vomiting, breathing difficulty, abdominal pain.

Please do take your child to a doctor

Dr. Gaurav