Had surgery to remove iliac stents. Clipped femoral nerve to right leg accidentally. Take methadone?

yes, I was a nurse for 25 years and had pvd , they did surgery to remove old iliac stents I had put in 2 years before, they were unable to do this surgery and had to do a aorta and femoral bypass, during the surgery they accidently clipped my femoral nerve to my right leg, I was put on opiates for the pain and have been on them for 3 years and now they do not work at all, even with an increase of 40mg at a time which I know is dangerous, I tried methadone for 3 days and was able for once after the surgery to get up clean my house and be pain free. can u explain why this drug works so well on this type of pain and why I am having such a hard time finding a dr. to prescribe it?
Asked On : Mon, 25 Feb 2013