Had surgery below scalp to remove cyst. Noticed swelling and having pain. Should I consult a doctor?

i had surgery on the bqack of my head just below my scalp to remove a cyst that has been there for over 20 years. that was a week ago and i kept having pain that seemed to be slowly getting worse. now there is definite swelling about an inch above the incision site and it is very tender. should i go to the er or wait till monday and call my surgeon?
Asked On : Wed, 23 Jan 2013
You didn't mention the size of the Cyst which was removed.
The pain after surgery may be due to infection at the surgery site.Because of the associated inflammation,there may be swelling and it would be tender to touch.
If the cyst was large,there will be some serous collection beneath the suture in the dead space.It resolves spontaneously sometimes.Or else it has to be drained.
Please consult your surgeon and get it treated.
But,nothing to worry.
Wish you good health