Had strep. Took penicillin. Have allergy. Started benedryl regement. Welts again . Reason?

A couple weeks ago ( maybe 3 ) I went to the ER and found out I had strep . They gave me my first dose of penicillin in the hospital. About 15 minutes later I got a big welt on my face and became hot and flushed. They told me I was allergic to the penicillin to never take it again. ( I ve taken penicillin through out my whole life with no problems) the next two days I was red and swollen throughout my whole body. I started a benedryl regiment and after a few days the swelling went away... But sense then I break out in a couple welts every night. When one heals another pops up... Why? It s been weeks!
Asked On : Mon, 31 Dec 2012