Had stopped using birth control for three weeks. How long will the pill be effective?

I have a question and I am particularly worried. I have been off my birth control for about 3 weeks and had my last cycle about a week to two weeks ago I started up my pill 2 days ago and doubled up the dosage on the second day ( being yesterday ) and today, because i had intercorse with my boyfriend. My worry now is could my chances of becoming preganant be greater due to the fact i had been off my birth control for three weeks started it back up after three weeks and doubled my dosage as a means of emergency protection from getting pregnant. I had done some research and the results where that it takes 7 days for the pill to be effective now i m worried i could get pregnant. Other sources told me that I would have to be off the birth control for a month. please help any answers would be deeply appreciated.
Asked On : Sat, 30 Mar 2013