Had stomach surgery. For what duration NPO diet should be followed before and after surgery?

Is it right nurses to keep a person on npo diet for many hours before and after stomach surgery and wouldn t even allowed to have a sip or water or even ice chips and was told that nothing is allowed to touch my stomach for a while? I had stomach surgery and I remembered I was dying for water as soon as I woke up from surgery and sneaked to get water and the nurses caught me and took the cup of water away from me and only wet my lips to relieve discomfort from thirst. It helped for a few minutes and afterwards, I was still so dry for 8 more hours before finally being allowed to drink.
Asked On : Fri, 31 Aug 2012