Had stitches on knee after a car accident. MRI report showing knee joint effusion. Knee reconstruction suggested. Is it necessary?

Hi Doctor, I had an accident two years back and I had stitches below my knee joint . But I have some pain when I m trying to sit at the place where stiches are done. There are no problems other than that. I m fine while running, playing and every thing else. I had my MRI done when I consulted an orthopedist. My MRI report is showing minimal left knee joint effusion . The doctor is saying that we may need to do complete reconsrtuction to your knee part using orthoscopy as some ligaments are torn. I am shocked to here that as I m fine till now. Can you help me in this .
Asked On : Fri, 18 Jan 2013