Had stitches after splitting chin. Having lump in the area. Grew big after massaging. Suggestions?

Hi, My daughter fell and split her chin open. She required and internal stitch and 7 external stitches. She has been healing for about 7 weeks now. The scar is hard and raised above her skin, which doctor told us is normal healing ridge. However, she also has a hard lump underneath her skin at the edge of the wound. When she was at the doctor a few weeks ago she told us it was mature healing and to massage it to help it go away. Now, weeks later after massaging it nightly, it is bigger and very obvious. The lump hurts if you touch it and is very itchy most of the time?
Asked On : Tue, 26 Mar 2013
Jun 2013
Hi there ~

If your daughter's scar is getting bigger and tougher she might be having what we know in medical terms as a keloid. I advise that you visit with a specialist and find out if it really is a keloid and stop massaging the area. It is easily treated with steroids that should be injected into the area. I hope this helps.

Take care and have a lovely day !