Had spotting instead of periods. Ultrasound shows fluid cyst. How long will it take to occur?

My period was regular for 5 months now with 28-30 days cycle (previously irregular period). I should have my period on 20thJan and my last period was on 21thDec. But on 8thJan i have spotting (brownish black thick blood ) which last for only half day. So now I am 18 days late. Yesterday I went to see my gyn and she did ultrasound and found a cycst (she said its just fluid cycst 2.56cm) and ask me to wait till my period to come. The problem is how long do i have to wait? I have no pain due to this cycst but i feel tired. The doc also given me norethisterone to stop my period for my umrah trip next month. (20 days pills, 2 times a day). Can i use the pills for 5 days to start my period?
Asked On : Mon, 11 Feb 2013
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM,
You have not mentioned the site of the fluid filled cysts.
Cysts are usually common in ovaries.
Ovary is a common site of cyst but these cysts are usually asymptomatic.
they cause symptoms when they are large in size. They can also cause menstrual irregularities.
The norethistrone preparation has been given to you to delay the periods. Once you complete your regime, menstrual cycles will resume.
Menstrual irregularities are common in healthy menstruating women.
Mid cycle spotting can also be seen. This corresponds with ovulation.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal