Had sever lower right back pain which moved to the groin area, had bowel spasm. Explain?

Hi I had sever lower right back pain which moved slowly across right side down into right hand groin after drinking 1litre of ginger ale after not eating for 2 days because of a stomach bug. I was completely crippled with pain. Someone mentioned a bowel spasm but i connected the pain with drinking the ale. Could there possibly be a connection?
Asked On : Sun, 23 Dec 2012

Thank you for the query.

Lower right pain radiating to the back (or reversibly, lower back pain radiating to the groin) can be caused by urinary tract infection, urinary tract stones (most probable), right inguinal hernia. Spine disc herniation is also possible however less probable.
Urinary tract stones pain can be connected with ginger ale drinking due to increased amount of urine production which can cause kidney stones to migrate. Such pain usually appears suddenly and is very strong. It radiates to the groin and even to the leg. Burning when urinating and frequent urinating also appears.
Inguinal hernia gives the groin pain and abdomen pain (when intestine gets stuck in the hernia). Usually also some lump appears in the groin (usually while standing and coughing).
It is advisable for you to have some diagnostics. Abdominal and right groin ultrasound, full blood work, urine analysis should be done at first.

Hope this will help.