Had seizure, prescribed Keppra. Can a general practitioner write a clearance letter for life insurance?

Hi, my husband and I are in the process of getting life insurance and I was denied due to a seizure I had. In February of 2011, I had my first (and only) seizure at work. I was taken to a hospital and told that I could not drive until I saw a neurologist . I saw the neuro, explained to them that the night before I had been drinking, coupled with waking up late the next morning and rushing to work, and the fact that periodically my blood sugar drops and I feel faint, that I belive that that could have led to the seizure. However, they decided to do an EEG . They found abnormal activity and prescribed me Keppra and said that I could not drive and that we would re-evaluate in a year. Well, I started taking the medicine in 4/2011, but by 6/2011, I stopped taking it. I didn t feel like it was accomplishing anything and I was having trouble remembering to take it. Today I am still seizure free. I have been making sure that I don t skip meals (to keep blood sugar level) and that I don t stress as much over little things (like when I was late to work). Unfortunately, the life insurance underwriter will not approve me until I get an all clear letter from my doctor or neuro saying that I can drive and doing fine. I called my neuro s office and she said that since it has been over a year since I have been there, I have to get a referral. So, my question is, can a general practitioner write this type of letter for me, or will I need to go to a GP and have them refer me to the neuro s office and have them write the letter? Thanks!!
Asked On : Fri, 28 Sep 2012