Had routine general teeth cleaning. Gums bleeding, painful, head feels heavy. What should I do?

Hi. I went to get a routine general cleaning done with a new dentist that I ve never been to before. Instead of a routine cleaning, I think he did something called deep cleaning because it was abnormally excruciatingly painful and there was quite a bit of bleeding . (he did it with a sonic / electric pick machine). It s been 24 hours since, my gums and teeth are pulsating and in some pain, and my head feels very heavy. Is this normal or is this an infection? What should I do?
Asked On : Sun, 30 Dec 2012