Had respiratory infection causing diabetes/ gout symptoms like thirst, frequent urination, gout in left toe. Suggestions?

Hello. I recently was ill with a severe cold or viral respiratory infection which precipitated symptoms of diabetes , and later gout . My temperature was app. 101 - 102...I was extremely ill for about 5 days and missed work....but the illness lingered on for about 2 - 3 weeks. The diabetic symptoms were as such: I was ...moderately thirsty and within minutes of drinking something I had to urinate. I urinated about 10 - 15 times ...on one particular evening. I was eating very very little...drinking alot of tea...and about 10 - 15 days after the illness struck I developed gout or pseudogout in my left toe and then a much lesser my right toe. Podagra? What struck me is the symptoms of diabetes...which I am constantly on the lookout for. Additionally, I lost a good bit of weight during the illness...about 10 pounds...but my weight stablized after that. I was excercising...but overweight ...230...after illness...220. I drink alot of beer but do not smoke. Have you ever heard of a respiratory illness causing diabetic symptoms or gout?
Asked On : Sun, 2 Dec 2012