Had rapid heartbeat, monitored, found more beats than normal. Should I try low dose of BP tab?

I recently wore a heart monitor for 24 hours due to a rapid heartbeat and pounding heart I was exeriencing....the results showed that my heart was beating over 5000 more beats per 24 hour period than normal. Is this a condition I should be concerned about. My dr. said to try a low dose blood pressure med ( bystolic ) even though I already have a low to average blood pressure.... I am concerned, especially about the pounding which I feel each and every day. I exercise often and am not overweight . 55 yrs old.
Asked On : Sat, 8 Dec 2012