Had pull out sex. Under birth control but had taken antibiotics. Chances of pregnancy?

I am on birth control I have been for about 3 years, me and my boyfriend had sex on saturday and he pulled out i d say 5 or 6 minutes before he ejaculated, and he insists he didn t get any in me which I can believe because there wasn t any down there when I went to the bathroom. However, my step mom told me that because I was taking an antibiotic up until Tuesday (4 days before having sex) that my birth control was ineffective. My question is, what are the possibilities that i m pregnant? I m seriously freaking out, and it s causing me to not be able to sleep.
Asked On : Fri, 15 Mar 2013
Jun 2015
Hello Tatoo,

It's true that few antibiotics may cross react with the birth control pills & reduce their effectiveness.
But the chance of occurrence of such an event is less, as you had stopped taking the antibiotics 4 days before having intercourse.

So, the possibilities of getting pregnant is very less.

There is no need to worry, you can wait till your periods.
If they are delayed, a Pregnancy test can be done to confirm it.
In case of pregnancy, it will give a positive result within one week.

Wishing you a Good Health.
Let me know if I need to clarify further.
Thanks & take care.

General & Family Physician Dr. Michelle Gibson James's  Response
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Though it is reported that some antibiotics can interfere with oral contraceptives the medical evidence is unclear.
There are some antibiotics that are thought to be more likely to have an effect such as rifampicin which is an antibiotic used for TB or rifabutin. Most medical studies looking at other commonly used antibiotics fail to show an interaction.

Normally though, despite the lack of any evidence it is normally suggested that a woman on antibiotics should use another form of contraception while on the antibiotics and for at least 7 days after the last dose of the antibiotics was taken.

If you did not use either of the antibiotics mentioned then there is less chance of an interaction and since you were sexually active 4 days after completion of your antibiotic course,this further reduces the chance of pregnancy.
The chances of pregnancy, once you were consistently using your birth control is very small.

I hope this helps