Had pnuemonia, pulmonary edema. No chest pain. Why is the back pain and breathlessness still remaining?

My brother is 35. He was a smoker. He had severe pneumonia , in July, this year. It started with the unbearable pain in his back. He couldn t sleep, move or else for days, he was in the hospital for 20 days, where he was treated. He made many X-rays and 2 CT scans. He had fluid in lungs ( Pulmonary Edema ). The cause of pneumonia was chlamydia bacteria (Chlamidya trachomatis). His last CT scan, showed small emphysemic bull, a lot of scars, fibrous scars. Pulmonologist said that his lungs were badly damaged. In few months he will go on a 3. CT scan. He stopped smoking . He never coughed, not now, not before. He doesn t have any chest pains at all. But he still feel pain in his back, sometimes, especially in the morning. Still has a heavy breath (when climbing upstairs) and gets tired easily. Why does he still feels that pain in his back? Will he be allowed to go out into the open this winter (few months after pneumonia, when the weather is cold ) and hike in the woods (we live by the sea)? What about scarring of his lungs? Will this ever get better? What can he do about it? Is there any special tea or kind of food that I can prepare for him that he gets better? What can we do for him at home? Please, help. If you need more info s I ll write it down. Thank you in advance.
Asked On : Sat, 13 Oct 2012