Had numbness in the base of the thumb, forefinger. Had surgery. Slight improvement. Any exercises recommended?

hi I had a surgery to my left forearm with two plates put in much ulna and radius 5 days ago. Prior to the surgery I had numbness in my thumb and its base and forefinger before and after surgery. the numbness has only improved slightly after surgery and I have limited movement in my thumb. according to my surgeon, the feeling will slowly come back to my thumb, however I m very worried since I m a dentist and my hands are my whole career. also what exercises can I do to improve the range if motions coming back to my thumb?
Asked On : Sun, 9 Dec 2012