Had numbness and electric shock feeling on arm while sleeping. What tests should I take?

Hello, I m am a 37 year female. I had an issue on Friday night while sleeping. I woke up suddenly with my right arm numb. It felt heavy (dead). I don t know how else to describe it because I was still half a asleep and it did last long. I actually thought I dreamed it....Until tonight. I felt pin and needle like feeling in my upper arm. It felt like electric shock zaps. I don t know what it is. I have felt similar feeling in my face and head. I spoken to my GP and I when to see a neurologist . In 2010 I ve had MRI/ MRA and both came back normal. I read somewhere where it could be nerve damage. I am scheduled to have a test done. However I don t want to do unnecessary tests. Please help.
Asked On : Thu, 7 Mar 2013