Had nausea, dizziness, blurred vision, swollen legs, increased intensity this time, told low iron. Overcome iron deficiency?

I went to the ER yesterday because I became dizzy, nauseated, off-balanced when I walked and I had blurred vision and saw black dots. I often feel this way and have been able to get over it, but I was unable to on yesterday. The ER MD told me that my iron level was at 7, which is very low. One other symptom that they noticed was swelling in my ankles that went up my legs. What does my iron have to do with these symptoms and what can I do to overcome the iron deficiency?
Asked On : Sat, 13 Apr 2013