Had miscarriage in third trimester. Why did I bleed for this long?

I had a miscarriage 13 weeks ago. I was 9 weeks pregnant. I continued having bleeding until recently. My ultrasound showed an area with blood flow to it causing the bleeding. My doctor placed me on birth control to see if we could get my body to rid itself of the tissue on its own. My hcg was also above 5 for the last 10-11 weeks as well. I just finised my birth control and started my period. I had extreme anxiety last night, hot flashes, and a terrible headache. Is this simply a hormonal imbalance?
Asked On : Fri, 7 Sep 2012