Had mild, persistent, dry cough. Diagnosed as TB. On CAT1 medicines. Reports show MDR TB. CAT4 medications?

Hello Doctor, A few days back I had mild dry cough and it did not go wawy for more than 3-4 weeks. The cough was always mild and not disturbing even then I visited my family doctor and asked him the reason. He prescribed me some antibiotics for a week. After the week passed I still had the little dry cough. So I went to my Doctor again. This time he referred me for a TB check up. I got my chest Xray and sputum test done. The xray indicated an Old Koch s lesion and my sputum was negative. I never had experienced TB in my earlier years and I asked my parents also about this possibility but even they were surprised to know and told me even they never ever felt I had TB anytime till now. But the senior doctor and counsellor told me that I have TB now, To which even I agreed to some extent because I still coughed mildly. No other symptoms like sudden weight loss & fever were present. I was given the CAT I (Schedule 1) medicines from then. But in an another report which came a bit later, it was mentioned that I have MDR TB, with sputum both Negative and my counsellor got surprised by the result. My weight is 54 kg and I am healthy otherwise. It has been over 3months since all this process began. Still a final report from Hinduja hospital is awaited. My questions are: Is it ok that I continue the CAT 1 medicines? Was is a proper decision on the part of the Doctor and counsellor, to begin my medication without getting all the reports collected? If I am otherwise healthy and my sputum is negative do I still have to undergo the CAT IV medication applicable for MDR TB? Can a person have a healthy lifestyle along with the CAT 4 treatment, because I have read on the internet about its lot of side effects? Do I have to compulsorily start CAT 4 medication, after six months of CAT 1 medication to avoid the diesease getting worse? What are the ways to get better and avoid CAT 4 medication? I am worried and also want to get rid of the disease please answer my quetions. I will be greatly thankful for your time and efforts. Regards, Shrishti
Asked On : Sun, 9 Dec 2012