Had laryngitis. Having dry throat, producing frothy mucous. Problem in swallowing. Reason?

I am a Teaching Assistant. In December I got laryngitis and continued to work the first week. I took the second week off work and returned to work at the beginning of week 3 - my voice had still not recovered. I then contracted a very bad coughing virus just before Christmas. I am now struggling on a day to day basis with my extremely dry throat . I suck lozenges, drink warm water, inhale steam. Nothing helps! The dryness seems to be at the top of my thoat and will often extend down the sides of the back of tongue . At night I wake up several times and have to drink water, use throat spray, suck lozenge. Only relieves mouth. I am so tortured by the symptoms that I often cry. I then produce a really thick, frothy, stretchy mucus and the dryness in my throat makes me gag. I cannot speak for long - struggle a bit holding higher range i and e . The dryness coming up from my throat means that I cannot speak for long, because I dry out. I have seen an ent consultant. Swallowing unconfortable because of lack of lubrication . My vocal cords are open by about 1mm apparently. Interarytenoid oedema - apparently, glassy, spongy looking. Why is my throat so chronically dry? My throat is often sore. I cannot focus on anything during the day, because of the symptoms - mainly the dryness.
Asked On : Sat, 23 Feb 2013