Had intercourse. Feeling pain and discomfort in lower abdomen. Started heavy bleeding. Is this normal?

i had sex for the first time last night. suddenly i felt pain and discomfort in my lower abdomen when my husband thrusted. immediately after that, i bled a lot, and heavy, severe bright red bleeding continued for at least 4 or 5 hours including large blood clots, one very thick and larger than the size of a quarter. I had to sit on the toilet because the flow of blood would not stop and a pad was being filled immediately and I was staining everything with blood. What caused this to happen? Is this normal? I am not due for my period for at least another week.
Asked On : Mon, 16 Jul 2012