Had infection in the teeth. Had a surgery earlier. On many medication as prescribed by the doctor. What to do?

I've recently (4 weeks ago) had a corenectomy of my wisdom. I needed this because my roots are wrapped around the nerve, and I had an infection.The Dr. put me on Vicodin and Penecillin. I used all of my antibiotics, and felt okay for a little while. The surgery is not yet fully healed. I still have a small whole that needs to close. Now, the infection has returned. I was thinking it's because food might be getting in that little whole from the surgery that hasn't healed. My Dr. thinks it might be an infection in the roots, in which case the chance antibiotics will work is small. He recommends going back in and removing the roots. However, due to their placement, there is a risk that I will have pain and numbness on my lower lip for remainder of my life. I really don't any more surgery. I leave for Africa in two weeks for vacation. Will the amoxicyllin work or should I get the second surgery to remove the roots and run the risk?
Asked On : Sat, 6 Apr 2013