Had implant inserted. Having constant, light bleeding. Can it be controlled by using contraceptive pills additionally?

Hi, I had the contraceptive implant Nexplanon inserted 3 months ago and for the last month have suffered almost constant but VERY light bleeding . This is incredibly irritating as I work long shifts with lots of running around and have to wear a liner all the time which is uncomfortable. I was on the pill cilest (oestrogen and progestogen combined pill) before the implant but often forgot to take it so had the implant instead. I have heard that spotting/bleeding from the implant can be controlled by taking a contraceptive pill additionally whilst on the implant, do you know if cilest is appropritate for this use? I have cilest tablets left from before I stopped taking them and would rather use these than pay for a new prescription. Thank you for your help.
Asked On : Thu, 15 Nov 2012
OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine 's  Response
Hi Laura
This type of irregular, unpredictable bleeding associated with contraceptives is called Break through bleeding.
This is a common complaint in the first year of implant use.
Before using any medication rule out the possibility of pregnancy.
If it is negative, you can try Ibuprofen or Estrogen tabs. these are better than Estrogen and Progesterone combination tabs.
All the Best.