Had hysteroscopy. Had periods for 13 days last time. Will this continue every month?

In Dec. I had a hysteroscopy with D&C for irregular bleeding & possible polyps. Recovery was unevenful. My period in Jan. & now this mnth started with spotting for a couple of days then heavy bleeding with alot of clotting. Last month my period lasted fr 13 days from start to finish. I am just now on day 3 this month with the same thing happening. My doctor said during my follow-up exam to give my period a couple of months. I would like to know what could that mean, are my periods supposed to be like this and if not what could be the problem?
Asked On : Sun, 17 Feb 2013