Had hit on shin that healed, persisting swelling on calf, impression on pushing, pain on pressing

I fell and hit/scraped my shin on a bench. I have a pretty nasty scrap but I have kept it clean and it is healing nicely. However, my calf (all the way to my ankle ) is still swollen. Its not really noticeable until I push on my bone abovemy ankle. It leaves a dimple or impression. It has been 4 days since I fell. Is this normal? Also, it isn t causing me any pain. Its only tender to the touch on my scrap.
Asked On : Sat, 7 Apr 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Whenever there is such injuries swelling is quite common so you should not be worry. You can keep your foot elevated over pillow, apply diclofenec ointment and compression bandage. Your swelling will suicide in 3 weeks.