Had hard grayish discharge with periods. Is this sign of miscarriage?

I am almost 30 and haven't been on birth control for over 1.5 years. I have had regular periods up until last month when I had 2 periods in February. This month I started my period like normal (with normal ~28 day cycle) but have been very heavy and on day 2 I had horrible cramps (not normal for me) that went into my back and quite a few large quarter-sized blood clots. On day 3 I was still having blood clots and also noticed a greyish "thing" that was "hard"/very consistent in form, which I have never had in the 19 years that I have had a period. I haven't taken a pregnancy test b/c I haven't had any pregnancy symptoms (tender breasts, missed period, nausea etc) but I keep seeing that this could be a sign of a miscarriage. Any suggestions as to what it is or why I suddenly had this large substance come out for the 1st time in my life?
Asked On : Mon, 1 Apr 2013