Had great toe fusion, undergone surgery. Screws moved out of bones, Suggested resurgery. Should I have the metal plate?

I just had great toe fusion where th dr put in a metal bar and 4-5 screws. I have been in a big heel walking boot for 3 weeks since the surgery. When I went back for my first 2 week appt, the dr said the screws moved out of the bones and the surgery needs to be redone. My big toe has turned and I can feel one screw and the metal plate. Now I am wondering when I have it done if he can only use two screws and no plate. I can feel the plate and it is very uncomfortable. It feels like I have a metal bank around my big toe. I am having the surgery next week. I also had a bone density test today. My question is, do I have to have a metal plate? Or can screws do the job? Can he tape my big toe to the next to and not use ant screws?
Asked On : Fri, 7 Dec 2012
Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon 's  Response
A good result is usually attained with the help of a plate and screws. However, there are other techniques of fusion of the interphalangeal joint of the toe which uses simply a screw or wires to achieve the same. If you are uncomfortable with a metal plate, just speak to your doctor about it. However, it also depends on the training of the doctor as everyone might not be conversant with the techniques I have mentioned. If there is a firm fusion, then there is no need to tape the great toe to the adjacent toe.

©2014 Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.