Had frequent strep throats, larger tonsils in the past. Is it normal to lose my voice more than once or twice a year?

Is it normal to lose my voice more than once or twice a year? I sing a lot so losing my voice is quite irritating- I never completely lose my voice but when I do try to sing (I know I m probably not supposed to try to sing when my voice is lost) essentially no sound comes out, and if and when it does it s not full voice or it comes in and out. I used to get strept throat a lot when I was younger and I was told I had large tonsils and getting them taken out would be a good idea. Is losing my voice related to my large tonsils? and is losing my voice this much permanently damaging to my vocal cords?
Asked On : Tue, 11 Sep 2012