Had excessive bleeding, hot flushes. Had ovaries and tubes removed, had coil fitted. Cancer risk?

Had ovaries and tubes removed two weeks ago because of heavy bleeding for a year. Yesterday they have said I now need a coil fitted to reduce the risk if cancer forming in the uterus . I am 53 and not really had symptoms of menopause , some hot flushes, but not too bad. What are the side effects of having the coil fitted, will I get cramps, spotting, weight gain etc. They have told me I need to be checked again in 6 months. I am have a general to have the coil fitted in 3 weeks.
Asked On : Sat, 23 Feb 2013