Had emergency surgery to remove pus pocket in left temporal lobe causing ear infection. Had small hole in MP. Is it common, concerned about right ear?

I was curious about the mastoid process of the ear. 12 weeks ago I had emergency surgery to remove a puss pocket in my left temporal lobe that was caused by an ear infection . According to the Neuro surgeon there were some small holes in the MP that allowed the abscess to enter my brain. He did some internal covering of the holes to prevent this in the future. Is this a common thing? Should I be concerned about my right ear? I am a 43 yr old male who have never had an ear infection before.
Asked On : Sun, 17 Jun 2012