Had double Hernia operation, scars numb and painful. Time to recover?

I am a 57 year old male, 5 months ago I had a double hernia operation that has healed well although the right side below the scar is still numb, I had an open operation with mesh used to close the hernia. I am experiencing considerable pain in this right side, I have visited my GP who advises the hernia has not opened up again, I did have a bad cold following the operation and thought I had torn the repair. The pain seems to be getting worse as time passes and wish to know if it will eventually diminish or whether I should re-visit my GP.
Asked On : Sun, 13 Jan 2013