Had difficulty in breathing, swollen left fingers after a hike. Sugar levels ok. Due to electrolyte imbalance?

Hi, Yesterday I went on a 2.5 mile leisurely hike. I am not in the best shape, but usually 2.5 miles when I take my time is not bad on me. However, in the last quarter mile yesterday my breathing began to get more labored and I noticed that the fingers on my left hand were very swollen. My face was also very red. I am a type 2 diabetic, but my sugar levels were ok both before the hike and after. I did not take any over the counter meds before walking either. A nursing friend told me that she thought it might be an electrolyte embalance. Thoughts?
Asked On : Sun, 13 Jan 2013