Had diarrhea or vomiting. Taking dicyclomine and culterelle. What could be causing this? What tests should be done?

My 13 1/2 yr son had appendix removed nov 2011. For the past 4 months he has had diarrhea or vomiting upon awakening in morning at least once weekly. In past week it has been daily only in mornings after he gets out of bed. No fever. Has stomach cramps and pain in the belly button area. Bloodwork normal. Taking dicyclomine and culterelle for almost one week no improvement. Also immodium as needed. A couple hours of vomiting or diarrhea and feels better. Very strong appetite and drinks lot of fluids. Eating helps cramps but seems that after food has digested during night and upon awakening is when illness occurs most. What could be causing this? What tests should be done? Currently waiting for a gastro spec appt but cant get appt quick enough.
Asked On : Sat, 27 Apr 2013